In order to become a New York State licensed Security Guard, you must:
- Be 18 years of age
- Be a citizen or resident alien of the United States
- Complete and pass an FBI background check, free of felony convictions, via electronic fingerprinting ($101.25 fee payable directly to Morpho Trust, the company responsible for the fingerprint/background check)
- Complete the required training, starting with the 8 Hour Pre-Assignment Class
- Submit required application with the required $36 processing fee payable to New York State Department of State.
At your first training course, the 8 Hour Pre-Assignment course, we provide you with all the information you need to obtain and retain your New York State unarmed Security Guard license. We provide you with the New York State unarmed Security Guard license application and review it with you step by step. Our Instructors explain, in detail, what is required by New York State in order to obtain your license and also what is required by New York State in order to maintain your New York State unarmed Security Guard license.
Our Instructors and office staff guide you every step of the way. Someone is always available to answer any questions you have, before, during and after the license process either by phone or email.
LICENSE REQUIREMENTS — Armed Security Guard (Non retired Law Enforcement)
In order to become a New York State Armed Security Guard, you must complete the following courses:
- 47-Hour Firearms Training: Must possess a valid NYS pistol permit and unarmed security guard registration to be able to enroll.
NOTE: If you do not yet have NYS security guard registration, you MUST complete the training requirements and apply for the NYS unarmed guard registration before applying for an armed guard upgrade with the NYS DOS. See the NYS DOS Division of Licensing Services on Training Requirements for more details and exemptions.
- 8-Hour Annual In-Service Training
- 8-Hour Annual Firearms Training
BOTH of these courses must be completed every calendar year to maintain your registration.
RETIRED LAW ENFORCEMENT
With a current NYS Armed Security Guard license, you must only complete the New York State 8 Hour Annual Certified Firearms Training Course